Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Celebrity - pt.1

This past weekend I attended the Chiller Theater in Parsippany, NJ. It's a twice-a-year gathering of fans and autograph hounds there to meet their favorite personalities from film, television and pop-culture. The guest line-up is is always an eclectic mix. I attended the con a year and a half ago and took portraits of Diff'rent Strokes star Gary Coleman, and horror movie hosts Elvira and Zacherle.

From the work I created back in 2007, I decided that a series of portraits of personalities at fan conventions might be interesting. Many of my subjects at these cons would be the stars of yesterday, who evoke great memories in many, but perhaps hadn't been seen in a while.
So with press pass in hand and my trusty intern Zach at my side, I set out to start a new body of work this past Saturday.

I see it as there are two aspects to the photos-
1 - The close-up portraits, with the subject isolated from their surrounding, which allow the viewer to get a good look at and study these people who haven't really been seen in this light for a while.
2 - At their table with their merchandise strewn around them, which I think comments on celebrity and fame in general, and on former glory and nostalgia.

I took a LOT of photographs, so I'll be posting them in parts over the next several days. The first batch are below. Feedback would be appreciated!

Photobucket
The Iron Sheik, former WWF wrestler and frequent Howard Stern show guest.

Photobucket
Pat Harrington, Jr., Schnieder on the 1975 sitcom One Day at a Time.

Photobucket
Lou Ferrigno, The Incredible Hulk from the 1978 TV series.

Photobucket
Noel Neill, the original Lois Lane in the Superman movie serials and TV show.

Photobucket
Tiffany Taylor, Playboy playmate.

Photobucket
Carel Struycken, The Giant on Twin Peaks, Lurch in The Adams Family movie, Mr. Homn on Star Trek: The Next Generation.

More tomorrow.

No comments: